Welcome to Intermediate German with Herr Antrim. This series will cover conversations and real-life situations in the German language and the topics you need for the B1 level. In this post and the video above I explain why you should learn from me, what you will learn from this series, what you will not learn in this series, and how to get started.
If you would like worksheets, answer keys, mp3 downloads and more, you can find those in my online shop in this bundle. From there you can buy all of the materials for all of the lessons in this entire series.
Lessons in “Intermediate German with Herr Antrim”
Below is a list of all of the lessons within this series.
- #1 – Rainer stellt sich vor
- #2 – Rainer sucht eine deutsche Stadt aus
- #3 – nebenordnende Konjunktionen (und, oder, aber, denn)
- #4 – Rainer sucht eine Wohnung
- #5 – unterordnende Konjunktionen 1 of 2
- #6 – Rainer bucht seinen Flug
- #7 – unterordnende Konjunktionen 2 of 2
- #8 – Rainer packt seine Koffer
- #9 – Relativpronomen
- #10 – Rainers erste Reise
- #11 – Präteritum mit “haben” & “sein”
- #12 – eine Geschichte im Präteritum
- #13 – regelmäßige Verben im Präteritum
- #14 – Hans im Glück im Zug
- #15 – unregelmäßige Verben im Präteritum
- #16 – Wohnungsbesichtigung
- #17 – Rainer wäscht seine Wäsche
- #18 – Rainer trifft seinen Mitbewohner
- #19 – Rainer sucht einen Job
- #20 – Rainer schreibt seinen Lebenslauf
- #21 – sich bewerben
- #22 – Vorstellungsgespräch bei Aldi
Wer ist Herr Antrim? – Who is Herr Antrim?
Hallo, Deutschlerner. Ich bin Herr Antrim. If you have been learning German for a while, but are looking to take your knowledge to the next level, then this video series is for you. My lessons are different than anything else you are going to find online, because I learned German just like many of you are going to. I took 3 years of German classes in high school. Then I went on to take 4 years of university courses in German. After graduating I spent a month in Berlin for a summer course at Humboldt University. Since 2009 I have been teaching German to high school students in the USA.
Long story short, I know what works for German learners, because I was one. I had to struggle through the same problems you are going to encounter when learning German. I fell into the traps of the German language. I know the errors you are going to make before you are going to make them, so I can prevent them. I know what it takes to be successful in learning German. Stick with me and I’ll show you how to learn German from the perspective of someone who has actually had to learn it.
What to expect from Intermediate German with Herr Antrim
So what can you expect to learn from this series? I’ve created my own curriculum based on the CEFR goals. I used the Goethe Institut’s recommendations and my own experience with what to learn when. This series will follow Rainer, a German learner, who just passed his A2 test. He plans to move to Germany to learn more. Most of the videos will show him experiencing certain events that he will need to navigate in German. Others will take a closer look at the grammar or vocabulary used in the story.
At the end of this series, you will be able to:
- understand the main points of information in conversations and texts on familiar topics relating to work, school and leisure time
- deal with most situations typically encountered when traveling in German-speaking countries
- express yourself simply and coherently when talking about familiar topics and areas of personal interest
- report on experiences and events, describe dreams, hopes and ambitions
- make short statements and explanations.
What not to expect from Intermediate German with Herr Antrim
Just as important as what you will get out of this series is what you won’t get out of this series. This is not a course. It will not teach you everything you need to know about the B1 level of the German language. If you only watch my videos in this series, you will be seriously lacking in all areas of language learning. Assuming you can learn everything you need to know about a language from a YouTube video series is naive at best.
This series is meant to be an introduction to the topics at the B1 level. If you master the topics introduced in each video, you will reach your goals. You will learn German in the way that you would expect from a real course. Don’t rely on this video series alone, however. It will not work. You will need to study and practice on your own. I can’t do that for you from a video series.
How to start learning German with this series
To start this series, click here to find all of the posts in the Intermediate German with Herr Antrim series. You can get additional materials via my online store.
So that’s it. You know everything about this series to get started. Now all you have to do is get started. So click some links and I’ll see you next time. Tschüss.
Intermediate German with Herr Antrim
Herr Antrim’s Intermediate German series follows a German student named “Rainer” in his goal of moving to and living in Germany. The series starts with his decision to move and goes through all of the steps he takes in order to move to Germany. Each lesson within the series includes a worksheet and answer key to practice what is taught in that lesson. You can download all of those extra materials here.